February 19, 2013
The saying goes, “you are what you eat,” and there are a lot of people in the world who couldn’t live it out more. The thing about food is that, as delicious as it can be, not all of it is healthy.
As a matter of fact, people have become so used to eating fast foods from famous joints that they simply forget how unhealthy they can be.
A lot of these edibles are filled with toxic substances and chemicals which can do the body a lot of harm. In fact, it can even break down the collagen fibers in the dermis, and fats would increase even more.
For a lot of folks, including women, this may lead to the development of soggy, dimpled skin on the back of their thighs and on the buttocks. Such a condition is called cellulite, and it can really be a confidence killer.
The skin would have an orange peel sort of effect, and it can be quite distracting especially when others get to see that individual suffering from cellulite roaming about the beach in a skimpy bikini.
It is mostly the women who get to suffer from it, although there are some cases where men are also afflicted with such a condition.
As mentioned above, this is just one of the many problems that can arise from poor eating habits. With that in mind, perhaps it is high time for people to look into getting a regular dose of vitamins and minerals to improve the quality of their skin.
Below are just a few of these nutrients that can help people get rid of cellulite with much efficiency.
- Vitamin A – This is certainly one of the skin’s best friends, often coming highly recommended by a number of dermatologists all over the world. This vitamin is known to maintain the youthfulness and smoothness of the skin. Apart from that, it’s also known to be a good solution for other skin conditions such as acne, eczema and even striae (known commonly as stretch marks). One can avail of this vitamin through carrots, eggs and milk.
- Vitamin C – People who are pretty adamant about treating cellulite should not overlook Vitamin C, since it has a major hand to play in its reduction, even removal. This vitamin can actually enhance the circulation of blood in the skin, which then leads to a stimulation in the production of collagen in the dermis. This can certainly lead to more elastic and firmer skin. For those who wish to acquire a huge dose of this vitamin, foods such as broccoli, citrus fruits and red or green bell peppers would be good sources.
- Selenium – This mineral, though consumed in rather small amounts, can provide the body with the protection it needs to fend off medical conditions and serious diseases. It works mainly through the enhancement of vitamin C, E and even beta carotene. There are a lot of foods containing selenium, including beef, tuna, oatmeal and rice.
These are three major nutrients that people should acquire through the foods they eat if they intend to live a cellulite-free life.
February 9, 2013
There are a lot of people who get to suffer from a truly annoying condition that affects the health of their toenails. It often puts them at odds with the convenient concept of having to wear open toed foot wear like sandals and flip flops, simply because it affects how their toe nails look like.
The nails themselves start to look yellowish, even turning black over time, as they thicken and become brittle. Of course, one of the worst situations to ever come across is that the nails themselves would completely fall off the bed.
This is known as toenail fungus, and it’s something which has affected a lot of people all over the world without them actually realizing it.
The problem with this is that a lot of people also fail to realize just how contagious it is. Chances are, a person who acquires it may have contracted the fungal infection from another person.
It’s quite saddening to know that there are some individuals out there who neglect this fact, and don’t even take any safety precautions because they don’t really mind their feet getting afflicted with it.
Yet, it can turn into a rather painful experience, especially when the infection starts getting worse. It can easily spread to other people, and they’ll end up suffering because of this neglect.
It becomes a major responsibility to look after one’s self and make sure that this condition is steered clear of as much as possible.
There are certain things that one has to keep in mind regarding this matter.
- It is one’s responsibility to practice proper hygiene at all times. A lot of people often visit areas which are moist and thriving on fungus, such as by the pool side, rest rooms, gyms, spas and locker rooms. One should refrain from going around barefoot in these areas, instead wearing proper foot wear at all times. Using these facilities without using sandals can certainly cause a person to contract the condition, thus turning their toenails into the perfect breeding grounds for bacteria.
- There’s also the matter of women visiting salons quite often in order to beautify their toe nails. What they don’t realize is that some of these salons don’t really practice proper sanitation. Some of the equipment used may not be sterilized, especially right after they’ve been used on prior customers. In such cases, it would be much better for a woman to actually groom her nails by herself.
- Some family members would share foot wear with each other, especially when they happen to be the same foot size. Yet, one doesn’t really realize that their relative may actually be affected with the condition already, and soon enough they’ll be suffering from it as well. As much as possible, this practice should be refrained from.
These are some of the most important things to remember when it comes to avoiding toenail fungus. It is very contagious, truth be told, and one has to take several preventive measures to make sure that they don’t get to suffer from something such as this.